Baile Mhic Amhlaoibh (‘’Olafs Town’’) was the Irish name given to the local area now known as Balally. The Olaf in question is Sigtrygg ‘’ Silkbeard’’ Olafsson who was a Hiberno-Norse King, one of the first Viking Kings of Dublin.
After a trip to Rome he instigated the building of Christ Church Cathedral, the oldest building in Dublin, around the year 1028. It was originally made of wood. Sigtrygg was married to Brian Boru's daughter, Sláine. He ruled a thriving Dublin for 42 years. In Norwegian, Olav and Olaf are traditionally used when referring to Norwegian royalty of that name.
Naomh Olaf GAA Club came into being in 1981. It was founded to cater for the parishes of Sandyford and Balally and was named in honour of Olaf. Mick Brown of Naomh Fionnbarra, Cabra, an able hurler and committed GAA man, is credited with being the founding father of the club. He was ably assisted by a group of Balally residents who had the foresight to see the need and potential of Gaelic games in the area.
The first AGM of Naomh Olaf GAA Club took place on Thursday, 26 November 1981, in Queen of Angels’ school. The use of playing fields was kindly granted to Naomh Olaf GAA Club by St. Benildus College. Dundrum/Churchtown GAA Club amalgated with Naomh Olaf GAA Club in 1999.
The Naomh Olaf GAA Club crest now has elements of both the Naomh Olaf club on a blue background and the Dundrum/Churchtown club mounted on a claret field.
The Viking ship was part of the family crest of Olaf (Amhlaoibh) and therefore acknowledges the Balally region of the club’s catchment area. Dublin GAA also has a Viking Ship on its crest. Naomh Olaf GAA Club is a Viking club in a Viking City.
This element of the crest represents the raven in the Naomh Olaf coat of arms and represents the Sandyford catchment. It is derived from the Raven’s Rock on the Wicklow Way, a large rock which overlooks Dublin and Wicklow. In Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") are female figures who choose who lives or dies in battle. The valkyries, sometimes depicted as ravens, escorted their chosen to the afterlife hall, Valhalla, ruled by the god Odin.
The Usher monument represents the Dundrum area and celebrates Dr. Isaac Usher, a resident of the town, who was renowned for his work in support of the locality. Dr. Usher was one of the first motoring fatalities in Ireland in 1917 and the stone obelisk was erected in his memory.
The Bottle Tower is an iconic structure in Churchtown representing that region of the club’s catchment area. It was constructed as famine relief work during the winter of 1741 - 42 and paid for by Major Hall, a notable resident of Churchtown.